Students who meet one of the following requirements can apply for waiving Freshman English:
- have passed the General English Proficiency Test (GEPT) at the Higher-Intermediate level or above (both the preliminary test and the final test);
- have achieved a score of 83 or higher in the new Internet based TOEFL (Test of English as Foreign Language);
- have achieved Level 6.5 or above in the IELTS Academic (International English Language Testing System);
- have achieved Grade B or above in the FCE (First Certificate in English) or FCE for Schools;
- have achieved a score of 865 points or higher in the TOEIC (Test Of English for International Communication) Reading and Listening test, together with a score of 170 or higher in the TOEIC Speaking Test and a score of 165 or higher in the TOEIC Writing Test;
- have achieved a score of 217 or above in the FLPT (Foreign Language Proficiency Test) English Reading and Listening Test, together with a Level S-2+ or above in the English Speaking Test and a level B or above in the English Writing Test;
- have achieved Level 8.5 or above in TOEFL Essentials Test;
- have achieved Level 4 or above in the Advanced Placement (AP) English Language and Composition Exam or English Literature and Composition Exam;
- are international or overseas Chinese students who have primary and secondary graduate certificates from an English-speaking country as specified by NTU’s Office of International Affairs.
※To apply, please see the instructions from Notice of Chinese and English Proficiency Test for International & Overseas Chinese Students.
※Only Freshman could apply for waiving Freshman English before their first semester in NTU.